These are the K3 visa advantages. The K3 Visa is a spouse visa and requirements more paperwork and does take much longer than say a K1 visa or a fiancee visa. There are other advantages to this visa which you might have overlooked. See the advantages of both the visa options on this website. Most people arrive in the US on a fiancee visa compared to a marriage visa.
K3 Visa Advantages
The K3 Visa or spouse visa normally take up to 12 months to obtain however it is much easier to work with once back in the United States. It also allow you to get married to your fiancee in her home country where the family can attend. If she arrives on a K1 Visa then the family would not be able to attend the wedding normally. This is a brief summary of the advantages and disadvantages of the visa.
The advantages are as follows with regards to the spouse visa:
- Your in-laws can attend the wedding in her home country;
- You can file in your wifes country if you have lived there for + 6 months;
- Your wife get legal residency immediately;
- There is no need to file for the Adjustment of Status application;
- Your wife can travel freely in and out of the US.
Those are the advantages compared to the K1 Visa or Fiancee Visa as it is known. These are the disadvantages of the K3 Visa listed next:
- Extensive documentation is needed with the application;
- Its a 2 stage process;
- It starts with the filling of the Form I-130;
- Once you have a Notice of Action you file an I-129F;
- Its more expensive than the K1 Visa to complete.
- It takes on average a year to complete.
Additionally these the the pro’s and con’s of the K3 Visa. Speak to your wife about what it is that you would prefer to do and if you need the services of a US immigration lawyer or not. If you wife has a child or children you would need to apply for a K4 visa for the children.